Montana Memory Project
How to Contribute
Step 1: Plan your collection
Step 2: Complete and submit an MMP Collection Application
Step 3: After review by the Montana Memory Project's Selection Committee, have your MMP Collection Application be approved
Step 4: Begin scanning and digitizing your collection
Step 5: Set up a CONTENTdm software training with the Montana State Library to learn the uploading software.
Step 6: Import your items and metadata into CONTENTdm’s Project Client software for approval and index.
Step 7: Review your new collection on the Montana Memory Project site.
Step 8: Celebrate your new addition to Montana's statewide digital archives!
If you are interested in contributing a collection to the MMP, you will need to submit a collection application, linked below. You will also need to familiarize yourself with the documents listed below. Each .pdf document is specific to a step in the process. The Glossary document will help you understand the terms used in creating a project.
- About the Montana Memory Project
- Montana State Library/MMP Copyright Statement
- How to Begin: planning a project
- MMP Contributing Institution Agreement Form
- Equipment Recommendations
- MMP Scanning Specifications
- File Naming Conventions
- Folder Hierarchy Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
Montana Memory Project Funding Awards
The Montana State Library has $6,000 in Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds available for adding special collections to the Montana Memory Project (MMP). Funding awards can be up to $1,500 per project and must be used for costs specific to scanning and digitizing materials. No match is required, but libraries are asked to track the time and funds contributed to the project.
All Montana libraries are eligible to apply for these funds. Museums, historical societies, and archives in the state may also apply to have collections added to the MMP working in partnership with a local library. The Project Funding award will be made to the partner library.
Project Funding Applications will be accepted until November 30, 2016. Selection of projects receiving funding will be done by the MMP selection committee. Please see the Project Funding Application Form for selection criteria. The Project Funding Application is separate from the MMP Collection Application submitted by all contributing institutions for each collection. You can find the Collection Application and all other MMP materials at: http://libraries.msl.mt.gov/statewide_projects/montana_memory_project/Getting-Involved
The LSTA Project Funding awards can be used for the following:
- Paying a vendor for scanning collection materials
The library will arrange to have digitization done using a vendor.
The LSTA Project Funding awards cannot be used for:
- purchasing equipment
- paying for an employee's time
Requirements for Project Funding:
- Libraries must submit an MMP Collection Application and receive approval from the MMP selection committee before November 15, 2016.
- A Project Funding Application must be submitted by November 30, 2016.
- The metadata spreadsheet must be filled in with the basic collection information prior to items being shipped to the vendor of digitization.
- The project must be shipped to the vendor for digitization no later than March 15, 2017.
- All project funds must be expended by September 15, 2017.
- At the end of the project, the library will submit a short narrative report detailing the time and funding required for completing the project as well as any challenges or lessons learned. This report is due no later than October 30, 2017.
Please be aware the approval process for Collection Application can take between one and three weeks. If your project has not already been approved, you should plan to submit your MMP Collection application no later than November 15, 2017 to ensure it is approved before the application deadline.
Grant applications will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Project is significant to the intended audience.
- Project enhances the larger Montana Memory Project, per goals as outlined in the MMP Strategic Plan.
- Grant funding is important to the project.
Notification of Project Funding awards will be made in December 2016.