2017-18 Montana Summer Library Leadership Institute
The Institute begins with a 4 day retreat at the Rising Wolf Ranch near East Glacier Park, July 26-19, 2017. A team of Montana library leaders will facilitate the retreat with a focus on developing mastery of specific leadership skills such as:
• Analyzing community needs
• Managing library resources efficiently
• Understanding & communicating the libraries’ role in economic development
• Collaborating with partners
• Contributing to the professional community
• Managing change & transitions
• Creating &/or communicating a vision
This institute is planned differently from one's that MSL has sponsored in the past few years. MSL recruited facilitators from within the MT library community with the express purpose of giving those who had attended institutes previously the opportunity to further develop their skills. Specifically, the facilitators are expected to:
• Analyze the needs of the participants and the communities they serve
• Manage the project within its budget
• practice mentoring and providing guidance to participants
• collaborate with other facilitators and MSL staff
• contribute to the professional community
• manage change and transition
• create and communicate a vision for the institute
Facilitators receive a stipend and travel assistance for their participation. To apply to be a facilitator, log into the MT Library Directory and select the application form from the home menu. Applications for facilitators are due January 6, 2017.
Watch for more information about applying to attend the insititute as a participant, details about the planned program and application will be available in February 2017.
There is no charge to attend the MSL Summer Library Leadership Institute. Attendees commit to attending follow-up webinars and meetings (as available) and to work diligently on a project that expands their leadership knowledge and skills and provides an increased benefit or service to advance their library's mission. Follow-up webinars and projects extend through April 2018. For a glimpse of the projects from the 2015-16 participants, see this video.
For more informaiton about the SLLI, contact CE Coordinator, Jo Flick firstname.lastname@example.org